Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Quest for Stash

I didn't have anything in my stash suitable for the class sock. Actually, my stash is not very impressive, even though I have been knitting for over thirty years. This necessitated the dreaded trip to Hobby Lobby. It is difficult for me to get in and out of HL without indulging in my craving for knick-knacks. The phrase "Hobby Lobby" was among the first words my daughter spoke as a toddler.

I used up every bit of willpower in my five-foot frame not to succumb to the yarn sale currently in progress at HL (due to my current marital situation, my budget is extremely limited...long story for another day). All of their Yarn Bee brand yarns are on sale for half-price. I couldn't find any worsted weight yarn in Yarn Bee, so I purchased Lion Brand's Lion Wool, along with the necessary size 6 double-pointed needles. I was able to get some knitting time in last night while watching Food Network and have progressed about an inch and a half on the cuff. I love knitting with wool.

Question: the directions state to cast on 32 stitches, and to "join". How do you join? I plan on looking this up on the web today, but thought that I would throw that question out here just to see what all of you did. I am using four dps, with the stitches spread 8,8,16.

It's time to get to work...yay, another day at work. Everybody have a good one!

2 comments:

Alison said...

There are several different ways to join. The way I usually do it is this: form a triangle (or square if you're using five dpns) with your needles and slip the first stitch from your first needle onto the last needle and slip the last stitch cast on from the last needle over the first stitch and onto the first needle where the first stich used to be. I hope it makes sense.

Glinda said...

Thanks Alison, that makes perfect sense.